Breast Lift Surgery in NYC
The size, shape and position of a woman’s breasts can affect her self-perception, her femininity, and even her sense of physical balance. Having breasts that are stretched and saggy can make women feel older and less confident. A breast lift can give women a more youthful, perkier contour and significantly enhance their self-esteem.
Performing a breast lift is a creative, delicate endeavor that improves a woman’s physical beauty and enhances her self-confidence. Dr. Nina S. Naidu is a female plastic surgeon in New York City (NYC). She and her staff are dedicated to providing women in NYC with the highest quality of care possible.
Breast Lift Surgery Before & After Photos
About Breast Lift Surgery with Dr. Naidu
As a woman in NYC, you want to look and feel your very best. Unfortunately, stretched and saggy breasts – whether they’re the result of pregnancy, weight loss or just gravity — can have a negative impact on your confidence and self-esteem. Although a good bra can help with shaping and contouring, relying on supportive undergarments limits your clothing choices and leaves you self-conscious in intimate situations.
A breast lift is a surgical procedure that creates a more youthful aesthetic by removing stretched skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and moving the areola into a more elevated position. A breast lift will not fix deflated breasts or increase the size of your breasts.
Deciding to Have a Breast Lift
For many of Dr. Naidu’s patients, the decision to have a breast lift is about more than their breasts. It is a time when they have finished having children and are ready to focus on themselves. They are making a decision to feel more feminine and confident. Dr. Naidu’s goal is to help every patient feel her very best.
Your First Consultation with Dr. Naidu in NYC
The first part of the breast lift process is a comprehensive consultation in our NYC office. Dr. Naidu will get to know you and your goals for the surgery.
During your consultation, you will need to tell Dr. Naidu about your medical history and your use of medications, nicotine, alcohol or supplements. She will want to know about any previous surgeries, including surgeries on your breasts. If you plan to become pregnant or breastfeed in the future, Dr. Naidu will explain the impact that motherhood will have on your breasts, so that you can decide if this is the best time for a breast lift.
Dr. Naidu will conduct a physical examination of your skin and the soft tissue of your breasts. Dr. Naidu will also measure the base width of your breasts, the amount of existing breast tissue, and the degree of sagging. These measurements will be used to plan your surgery.
At the end of the consultation, Dr. Naidu will let you know if you are a good candidate for a breast lift and whether you need any additional surgery to meet your aesthetic goals. In particular, Dr. Naidu will explain that a breast lift will improve the sagging of your breasts, but it cannot remedy deflated breasts. She will educate you about how breast lift surgery is performed so that you can make an informed decision. She will never pressure you to schedule the procedure.
Your Second Consultation with Dr. Naidu
If you decide to proceed with a breast lift, you will have a second consultation with Dr. Naidu in our NYC office. At this appointment, Dr. Naidu will discuss her plan for your surgery. She will let you know the length of your surgery, the location of your incisions, and what to expect during your recovery. You will also complete the necessary paperwork for your breast lift.
At this appointment, we will take pre-operative photographs. These photographs are an important part of your surgical planning and are considered part of your medical record. They will never be shown to other patients without your written permission.
Depending on your medical history, Dr. Naidu may advise you to discontinue certain medications prior to surgery. If you are a smoker, you may not smoke for six weeks before or after surgery. For your safety, Dr. Naidu may also order additional screening tests (such as a mammogram) or request preoperative clearance from your primary care physician.
Breast Lift Surgery
Breast lift surgery takes approximately 90 minutes and is performed in a NYC ambulatory surgery center. Dr. Naidu prefers using general anesthesia so that you will be completely comfortable during the surgery.
The evening prior to surgery, you should not eat or drink anything after midnight. This ensures that you have an empty stomach prior to surgery, which is very important for your safety.
You will meet with Dr. Naidu immediately before your breast lift. She will make several marks on your breasts for use during surgery, as well as answer any additional questions that you may have.
Once you are under anesthesia, Dr. Naidu begins your breast lift by making careful incisions. The location of the incisions is determined by your anatomy, the degree of sagging, and whether you’re also having an augmentation procedure.
With proper care, scars will heal well over time. There are three types of incisions:
- Peri-Areolar. This is also known as the “donut” lift and is only used for women with very mild sagging. The incision is made around the areola and is virtually imperceptible after healing.
- Also known as a “lollipop” lift, Dr. Naidu will make two incisions. The first incision is around the areola and the second incision extends downward from the areola to the fold under the breast. This incision is used for patients with moderate sagging and enables Dr. Naidu to remove excess skin and reshape the breast tissue.
- Inverted T.This incision, also known as the “anchor” lift, is used when women have extensive sagging. Dr. Naidu will make three incisions – around the areola, vertically from the areola to the breast crease, and along the breast crease.
Once the incisions are made, excess skin and tissue are removed in order to raise, lift and firm the breasts. Incisions are brought together using layers of fine sutures to support your newly lifted breasts.
Breast Lift Recovery
You will wake up following surgery with small dressings over your incisions and wearing a support bra. (Special wraps, pumps and drains are generally unnecessary and rarely used.) You will be excited to notice that your breasts, although swollen, look perkier!
After being carefully monitored, you will be allowed to go home the same day. You must have someone to escort you home and stay with you for the first 24 hours. Although recovery is variable, many patients feel good the following day and are able to return to work after 3-5 days.
Dr. Naidu will also give you a prescription for pain management, as well instructions about how to take care of your incisions. You will be provided with detailed, written instructions about your activity following surgery. While light activity is encourage the day of surgery, strenuous activity must be avoided for two weeks.
Many of Dr. Naidu’s patients are strong, independent women who are reluctant to ask for help. These patients need to understand that a breast lift is real surgery and that some level of post-surgical assistance will be required. We strongly recommend that you create a plan to take care of yourself and your family, so that you can focus on your recovery.
Complications of Breast Lift Surgery
During your consultation, Dr. Naidu will explain the risks of breast lift surgery so that you can make an informed decision. As with other surgeries, the result of breast lifts include bleeding, infection and scarring. In addition, some women experience a loss of feeling in their nipples or breasts, although this usually resolves with time.
Complications from a breast lift can be reduced by choosing a skilled surgeon, providing a thorough medical history, and carefully following your pre-operative and post- operative instructions.
Cost of Breast Lift Surgery in NYC
We understand that cost is very important to our patients. Please call our NYC office at 212-452-1230 and we will be happy to provide information about the cost of a breast lift, as well as information on financing. You will be provided with the exact cost of your procedure following your consultation with Dr. Naidu. Unfortunately, insurance does not cover the cost of a cosmetic breast lift.
Choosing Dr. Naidu for Breast Lift Surgery in NYC
Aesthetic and reconstructive surgery of the breast comprise a large part of Dr. Naidu’s NYC surgical practice. She has a special interest in aesthetic breast surgery and breast reconstruction.
In addition to performing breast lifts, Dr. Naidu offers patients a full range of breast implants. She is excited to be one of only ten plastic surgeons in NYC to offer the Ideal® Implant,, which combines the natural feel of silicone with the safety of saline. Since 2006, Dr. Naidu has served as a clinical investigator in the Breast Implant Follow-Up Studies (BIFS) trials.
Dr. Naidu completed her undergraduate studies at The Johns Hopkins University and obtained her medical degree from Cornell University Medical College. After completing her general surgery and plastic surgery training at New York Presbyterian – Weill Cornell Medical Center, she performed an additional year of fellowship training at the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Naidu is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Schedule a Breast Lift Consultation in NYC
Our office is conveniently located at 1021 Park Avenue in NYC. If you’d like to learn more about breast lifts – and whether the procedure is right for you – please call our office at 212-452-1230 and schedule an appointment.
Following pregnancy or weight loss, the breasts may sag. Some women note that their breasts sat lower on their chests even prior to having children. The mastopexy procedure lifts the breast by repositioning the breast tissue into a higher position and allowing the skin to naturally redrape over the breast mound. The nipple and areola are also raised and centered on the breast, producing a more youthful appearance to the breast. Some patients desire more fullness in their breasts, and Breast Augmentation can be performed simultaneously with the lift procedure if desired.
There are several techniques which may be used in the mastopexy procedure, and these include approaches through a circumareolar incision (the incision is made around the nipple-areolar complex only), through a vertical incision (the incision is made around the nipple-areolar complex and continued in a straight line down on the lower breast), or through an inverted-T incision (an incision is made around the nipple-areolar complex, extended straight down on the breast, and continued horizontally along the inferior aspect of the breast). The particular technique selected by Dr. Naidu depends not only upon the amount of lift that your breast requires, but also upon the quality of your tissues. In the majority of cases, a vertical incision is selected. Surgery takes 1 1/2 hours to perform, and 2 hours if implants are placed at the same time. The operation is performed in an outpatient center and patients are able to return home the same day.
Following surgery, a soft, supportive brassiere is placed which should be worn for 2-3 days until the patient is seen in the office. After this time, a regular soft bra without an underwire or a supportive camisole top may be worn for three weeks. Mild to moderate swelling is normal and will make the breasts appear slightly larger for 3-4 weeks after surgery. Most sutures will dissolve on their own. Patients are encouraged to walk the day after surgery, but heavy exercise should be avoided for three weeks. Patients are generally advised to take 3-4 days off work after surgery.
Breast Lift Surgery Before & After Photos
- NYC Plastic Surgery
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Augmentation Revision
- Gummy Bear Breast Implants
- Breast Lift
- Breast Lift with Augmentation
- Tuberous Breast Surgery
- Inverted Nipple Correction
- Breast Reduction
- Breast Reconstruction
- Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer
- Breast Revision Surgery
- Vaser Liposuction
- Mommy Makeover
- Tummy Tuck
- Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia)
All surgery carries risks. The most frequently reported complications after breast lift surgery in New York are as follows:
- Hematoma: A collection of blood underneath the skin can occur following surgery. Should this happen, you will most likely note a sudden increase in the size of one or both breasts. Bleeding requires an immediate return to the operating room to stop the bleeding vessel and evacuate any blood.
- Seroma: A seroma is a collection of clear fluid underneath the skin. Some patients will notice a small amount of clear drainage from the breast incisions for several weeks following surgery.
- Infection: Infection following breast lift surgery is rare. Infection may necessitate intravenous antibiotics or additional surgery. You will be given an antibiotic prior to surgery to help prevent an infection.
- Scarring: You will have permanent scars following breast lift surgery. Although the scars improve with time, they will not completely fade. In some cases the scars may become thick or wide, but this cannot be predicted.
- Necrosis: Necrosis, or the death of skin and fat, may occur in smokers, following and infection, or with the use of steroids. This complication may require additional surgery.
- Pain: Most patients report only mild discomfort following surgery. A small number of patients may have permanent pain.
- Blood clots: Blood clots may form in the legs, or travel to the lungs, following surgery. This is a potentially fatal complication, and therefore preventive measures, including the use of leg compression devices during surgery, are taken with every patient.
- Numbness: Most patents will note some numbness over the breasts and nipples which usually resolves within several weeks. A small number of patients may note persistent changes in sensation.
- Asymmetry: Some patients may have asymmetry of the breasts or breast contour and shape irregularities.
- Potential inability to breast-feed: Some patients will be unable to breastfeed following breast lift surgery.
- Future pregnancy: If you become pregnant following a breast lift, your breasts will enlarge and may sag again. A second breast lift can be performed if necessary.
- Anesthesia risks: Although general anesthesia is very safe, all patients are screened for any personal or family history of anesthesia reactions.