Manhattan – Breast Augmentation
For the majority of women, their breast shape, size and proportion play a role in how they perceive themselves. A woman’s breasts can provide her with a sense of physical balance and a feeling of femininity, both of which contribute to her self-confidence. As a woman herself, Dr. Nina S. Naidu understands that breast augmentation is much more than just enlarging the breasts. The art of breast augmentation encompasses the patient’s desires, inherent anatomical form and requires choosing techniques that will provide the patient with beautifully formed, natural-looking breasts.
Breast Implant Surgery Can Address a Variety of Issues
Dr. Naidu can use breast implants to address concerns related to the shape and size of the breasts. A breast augmentation can be used to address developmental breast hypoplasia (underdeveloped breasts), and breasts that have lost volume following weight loss or pregnancy. Furthermore, certain congenital breast shape deformities and breast asymmetries can be corrected using breast augmentation techniques.
Each Patient is Unique
Breast implant surgery requires a surgeon who has the ability to create a meticulously tailored surgical plan that is customized in such a way as to provide the patient with the shape and size of breasts that she desires.
Each breast implant surgery that Dr. Naidu performs is created exclusively for the patient she is treating. Dr. Naidu is dedicated to providing her breast augmentation patients with beautifully-contoured, natural-looking breasts. Therefore, she encourages her patients to be forthright in what they would like to accomplish with breast implant surgery. Once Dr. Naidu knows what the patient desires, she can begin creating a treatment plan specifically designed to meet the patient’s goals.
Creating a Personalized Treatment Plan for Patients in Manhattan
When Dr. Naidu begins creating a patient’s personalized breast implant surgery treatment plan, she takes four primary components into consideration:
The Type of Breast Implant She Will Use – Saline vs. Silicone vs. Ideal Implant®
The three types of breast implant devices that are available for increasing breast size consist of saline, silicone gel, and a structured saline implant. Both silicone and saline implant devices are approved for use by the Federal Drug Administration (FDA). However, there are restrictions related to the age of the recipients for cosmetic breast augmentation. An individual who is at least 22 years of age can receive silicone breast implants, whereas, an individual who is at least 18 years of age can receive saline breast implants.
Saline breast implants
– are inserted into the breast pocket empty and then filled with salt water.
Silicone gel breast implants
– are already filled upon insertion.
There are two types of silicone breast implants, silicone gel and form stable cohesive gel implants (aka ‘gummy bear’ implants).
– These implants have a series of silicone implant shells that are nested together with two separate chambers which hold saline. The Ideal Implant® is approved by the FDA for use in women who are at least 18 years of age.
Several factors determine incision placement.
Factors include the:
- natural shape of the patient’s breasts;
- size of her areolae;
- amount of increase desired;
- definition of the patient’s inframammary fold (breast crease); and
- type of implants being inserted.
Prior to the breast augmentation procedure, Dr. Naidu discusses each option with the patient.
The Positioning of the Breast Implant
Dr. Naidu can place the breast implant above the pectoralis muscle (subglandularly) or beneath the pectoral muscle (submuscularly).
In general, when compared to subglandular placement, submuscular placement:
- maintains the stability of the implant pocket longer;
- provides better coverage of the implants;
- substantially decreases the incidence of capsular contracture;
- provides a softening of the breast’s upper pole, which leads to a smoother, natural transition from the patient’s collar bone to her nipple; and
- reduces the influence of the breast implant on a mammogram.
The Style of Breast Implant She Will Use
Breast implant devices are available in a variety of profiles, shapes, sizes and textures.
- round implants or teardrop shaped (anatomical) implants;
- textured or smooth outer shells; and
- implant profile (projection of the implant in relation to a given base dimension).
Understanding Implant Profiles
There are three implant profiles available:
1. High profile
Maximum volume and curvature.
2. Moderate plus projection/midrange
Intermediate volume and curvature.
3. Low/moderate projection
Less volume and forward curvature.
Dr. Naidu takes the anatomy and subtleties of the patient’s specific desires in mind when considering which style, projection and profile options will achieve her goals. The choices she makes are based on the patient’s anatomy, her desired outcome, as well as Dr. Naidu’s personal preferences attained through her experiences as a plastic surgeon.
What Patients Can Expect During their Initial Consultation in Manhattan
During the initial consultation for a breast augmentation with Dr. Naidu at her office in Manhattan, patients will have the opportunity to ask questions related to the breast implant surgery itself, recovery and expected results.
- Medical History: Dr. Naidu and her staff will ask questions about the patient’s medical history. These questions will include current medications as well as previous surgical procedures and/or treatments. Any diseases that could affect the outcome of the patient’s procedure should also be disclosed at this time (diabetes, hypertension, etc.).
- Lifestyle Choices: Lifestyle choices (tobacco use, drinking alcohol, etc.) are another important aspect that may affect the body’s ability to heal itself, therefore, patients should be prepared to discuss these with Dr. Naidu and her staff. To ensure the best results possible and the safest procedure, patients must be candid in relation to all of the questions they are asked.
- Breast Examination: Dr. Naidu will examine the patient’s breasts. She will determine the condition of the skin and soft tissue of each breast. She will also measure the width of the base of each breast as well as the amount of breast tissue that remains. These detailed measurements will assist Dr. Naidu in determining the size and positioning of the breast implants that will serve the patient best.
- Preoperative Photos: Preoperative photos are taken to be used while completing the patient’s surgical treatment plan. These photos remain in the patient’s chart and will not be shown to other patients unless written permission is received.
After this initial consultation, Dr. Naidu will know if the patient is a good candidate for breast implant surgery.
Second Consultation with Dr. Naidu in Manhattan
If the patient decides that she wishes to proceed, a second consultation will be scheduled. During this consultation, Dr. Naidu assists the patient in choosing the breast implant device that will provide her with the results she desires.
- Breast Sizing: Patients will be able to ‘try-on’ breast sizers at this appointment. These sizers help the patient determine the breast size that she would like. A small range of sizes is presented corresponding to what will fit the patient’s tissues safely.
- Surgical Details: Patients will be given details related to their specific surgery treatment plan. This information will include incision location, surgery length and what to expect following surgery.
- Pre-Surgical Testing: Prior to the breast implant surgery, Dr. Naidu may request that the patient have a mammogram. Other screening tests and/or a preoperative clearance from the patient’s medical physician may also be requested.
- Medication Usage and Lifestyle Choices: Certain medications must be discontinued for a specific amount of time prior to the breast augmentation procedure. Additionally, individuals who use tobacco will need to discontinue using it for at least eight weeks before and after their surgical procedure.
A Breast Augmentation in Manhattan – The Surgery
The type of incision Dr. Naidu uses depends largely on the patient’s goals.
The three types of incisions Dr. Naidu typically uses are:
1. The Peri-Areolar Incision
This incision is semi-circular. It is made around the bottom border of the pigmented skin that surrounds the nipple (areola).
2. The Inframammary Incision
This incision runs within the patient’s breast crease.
3. The Axillary Incision
This incision is located in the patient’s armpit.
Dr. Naidu takes great care to hide these incisions within the natural folds of the patient’s armpits and breasts or around her areolae.
Patients receive silicone cream to use on their incisions following surgery. Furthermore, patients can use vitamin E oil as a means to assist their scars in remaining flat and soft. However, as time passes, the resulting scars do fade.
Recovering from a Breast Augmentation with Dr. Naidu
Patients receive general anesthesia. This medication will keep the patient asleep throughout her breast augmentation. If the only procedure a patient is having done is breast implant surgery, her surgery should take about an hour. Following surgery, patients remain in the recovery area until they awaken. During their time in the recovery area, they are closely monitored.
Directly Following Surgery
Immediately after surgery, patients should expect their arms and chest to feel tight. Returning to normal activity requires following Dr. Naidu’s instructions related to arm exercises.
Patients receive important information regarding their recovery and restrictions prior to leaving the recovery area to head home. In addition, Dr. Naidu will provide the patient with a prescription for pain medication.
Returning Home – The First 48 Hours
Patients are able to return home following their breast implant surgery in Manhattan. Therefore, they must pre-arrange transportation with an individual they trust (Uber doesn’t count!). Also, Dr. Naidu likes her patients to have someone remain with them for the first 24 hours following surgery.
During the initial 24 hours, patients can perform light duties, but strenuous activity must be avoided for no less than two weeks. While each patient is different, many patients experience very little pain following their breast augmentation with Dr. Naidu in Manhattan. Tenderness and bruising are common following a breast augmentation and should resolve in a few days. However, inflammation can continue for up to four weeks post-op.
Focusing on Recovering is Essential
While many women are strong and independent, asking for assistance following surgery is not an option, but a necessity. Therefore, patients should set up a recovery plan prior to their breast augmentation.
The Results of Breast Implant Surgery in Manhattan
- Patients need to take several days off of work as they recover from their breast augmentation procedure.
- Light activity is encouraged immediately after surgery. One of the best exercises at this time is walking.
- Patients need to avoid strenuous exercise, sexual activity and lifting heavy objects (including small children) for at least two weeks following their breast augmentation.
- Chest exercises can be resumed six weeks after surgery.
- Final results will become visible within six months of the breast implant surgery.
Dr. Nina S. Naidu’s experience, passion to provide her patients with the best breast augmentation results possible and technical skills, place her as one of the most sought after plastic surgeons in and around Manhattan.
If you are interested in learning more about the various plastic surgery procedures Dr. Nina S. Naidu offers to residents residing in and around Manhattan, please contact her office at 212-452-1230. Her office is conveniently located at 1021 Park Avenue.
- NYC Plastic Surgery
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Augmentation Revision
- Gummy Bear Breast Implants
- Breast Lift
- Breast Lift with Augmentation
- Tuberous Breast Surgery
- Inverted Nipple Correction
- Breast Reduction
- Breast Reconstruction
- Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer
- Breast Revision Surgery
- Vaser Liposuction
- Mommy Makeover
- Tummy Tuck
- Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia)