Manhattan – Breast Augmentation Revision
A woman may choose to have a breast augmentation revision to address issues related to her initial breast augmentation procedure. Dr. Nina S. Naidu is a board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon in Manhattan.
A breast augmentation is a long-term solution for women who desire fuller breasts. However, each patient is unique and some women will require another procedure at some point in the future. During a breast augmentation revision in Manhattan, Dr. Nina S. Naidu can restore a more youthful contour to a woman’s breasts by exchanging the patient’s current implants, releasing scar tissue, performing a mastopexy (breast lift), or even permanently removing the implants.
Common Reasons Women in Manhattan Choose to Have Breast Implant Revision Surgery
There are numerous issues that Dr. Nina Naidu can address with a breast augmentation revision.
Issues that can be addressed with a revision include:
- a ruptured implant;
- a deflated breast implant;
- sagging breasts (ptosis/bottoming out);
- breasts that appear uneven;
- the ability to see and/or feel the breast implant beneath the skin;
- breasts that are sitting too high on the chest;
- a ‘double-bubble deformity’;
- capsular contracture (refers to the formation of a thick scar around the implant, which compresses it, making the breasts feel very firm);
- poorly positioned breast implants (too low, too far to one side or too close to the center of the chest);
- rippling/wrinkling of the implant;
- changing from silicone to saline breast implants (or vice versa);
- moving the breast implants from above the chest muscle to beneath the chest muscle;
- symmastia (the implants are so close to the center that they may touch each other); or
- the initial breast augmentation did not meet the patient’s expectations.
If you are experiencing any of the complications listed above, you are most likely a good candidate for a revision.
Who Should Consider a Breast Augmentation Revision with Dr. Naidu?
If you underwent breast implant surgery more than six months ago, and you are unhappy with the results, you may want to consider a breast implant revision with Dr. Naidu. Patients must wait at least six months to have their revision surgery because Dr. Naidu wants to ensure that all of the swelling from the previous surgery has resolved. This practice allows her to provide her patients with the best breast augmentation revision results possible.
You must be in good health, be close to your ideal body weight (based on your height), have realistic expectations, and be willing to follow Dr. Naidu’s pre-operative and post-operative instructions.
Creating a Plastic Surgery Plan – Your Initial Consultation
Once you decide that you are interested in learning more about your breast augmentation revision options, contact Dr. Nina S. Naidu’s office at 212-452-1230 to schedule your initial consultation.
Prior to your appointment, you can print and complete the patient forms available on Dr. Naidu’s website. If you have any information from your prior surgery, including your operative report and implant size, please bring it with you to your visit.
Once Dr. Naidu reviews your paperwork, she will want to discuss your medical history with you and discuss your aesthetic goals for your breast augmentation revision. There are certain things that Dr. Naidu must know prior to your surgery.
For example, she needs to know if you:
- have any allergies to medications or latex;
- have had previous surgical procedures (other than your initial breast augmentation);
- plan to become pregnant/breastfeed in the future;
- use tobacco;
- take prescription medications, over-the counter medications, vitamins, herbal supplements; and/or
- participate in recreational drug use.
All questions asked and information gathered are relevant to providing you with a safe surgical and recovery experience as well as ensuring you receive the best results possible.
If you decide that you are interested in having a breast augmentation revision in Manhattan, you will need to schedule a pre-surgical appointment with Dr. Naidu.
During your pre-surgical appointment, Dr. Naidu will perform a physical examination of your breasts. This examination includes taking measurements and photos. These photos are placed in your medical file and will not be shown to any other patients without your written consent. Once Dr. Naidu has completed her examination, she will have the information she needs to create a personalized surgical plan.
Dr. Naidu will most likely use the same incision sites as the previous surgeon in order to limit additional scarring. In the event that there is unsightly scarring following an initial breast augmentation, Dr. Naidu may be able to improve the appearance. If she must make incisions in other areas of the breasts, Dr. Naidu does her best to place them in areas where they will be concealed.
How to Prepare for Your Breast Augmentation Revision in Manhattan
If you decide to proceed with breast implant revision surgery, you will have a second consultation with Dr. Naidu in our NYC office. At this appointment, Dr. Naidu will recommend the best size and style of implants for your revision. Implant sizing in conjunction with sizers will be done to select a size and shape with which you are comfortable. She will describe your surgery in greater detail, so that you know exactly what to expect. Paperwork for surgery will also be completed at this visit.
Depending on your medical history, Dr. Naidu may advise you to discontinue certain medications prior to surgery. If you are a smoker, you must not smoke for eight weeks before or after your breast revision. For your safety, Dr. Naidu will request the medical records from your primary surgery if they are available. Prior to surgery you will be required to obtain routine blood work and preoperative clearance from your primary medical doctor. Dr. Naidu may also order additional screening tests, including a mammogram.
A Breast Augmentation Revision to Exchange Implants in Manhattan
A woman may require an exchange of her breast implants secondary to a desire to change size, remove scar tissue, or replace a defective implant.
Removing Breast Implants
During a breast augmentation revision, Dr. Naidu can remove a patient’s breast implants (without replacing them) as well as excise any firm scar tissue. At this time, she can also perform a breast lift to raise the patient’s breasts to a more youthful height if desired.
Removing and Replacing Implants
If a patient desires smaller implants, Dr. Naidu will reduce the size of the pockets with internal sutures; if the patient would like larger breast implants, she will increase the size of the pockets.
Breast Augmentation Revision in Manhattan: The Procedure
A revision procedure is performed in much the same way as an initial breast augmentation is. The specific issue being addressed will dictate the exact procedure that Dr. Naidu will follow.
Exchanging a Breast Implant
Dr. Naidu can exchange one or both of a patient’s breast implants in order to:
- provide her with breasts that appear more symmetrical (even);
- replace a ruptured/deflated breast implant;
- reduce or increase the size of a breast implant; or
- improve the overall results of an unsatisfactory breast augmentation.
Addressing Issues with the Capsule
A capsule is the scar tissue that forms around the breast implant. Formation of scar tissue occurs around any prosthetic implant. This formation of scar tissue is the body’s way of protecting itself from a foreign object.
– Dr. Naidu can address capsular contracture and breasts that sit too high on the chest by creating an incision in the capsule that surrounds the implant(s).
– This procedure is necessary when a capsule calcifies (hardens). During this procedure, Dr. Naidu removes the entire capsule.
Other Issues Addressed with a Breast Augmentation Revision in Manhattan
– Dr. Naidu uses this procedure to adjust the position of the implant on the chest wall.
– During this procedure, Dr. Naidu reduces the size of the patient’s areolae (the pigmented skin that surrounds the nipples).
– Dr. Naidu uses this procedure to lift and improve the contour of a patient’s breasts. To perform a breast lift, Dr. Naidu will need to make incisions around the areola and then vertically down to the breast crease.
Malpositioned Breast Implants
– For implants that are too close or too far apart, Dr. Naidu will surgically adjust the capsule to create a pocket that places the implants in an appropriate position. When necessary, she uses a specifically designed product (acellular dermal matrix) to provide the breasts with additional support.
The Day of Surgery
Dr. Nina S. Naidu performs her surgical procedures at a local hospital or at a nearby ambulatory surgical center. A breast implant revision surgery in Manhattan takes from 90 minutes to two hours and is an outpatient procedure.
You will receive general anesthesia during your revision surgery, and will require transportation home following surgery. You may not leave the surgical center without an escort.
What to Expect Immediately Following Your Breast Augmentation Revision in Manhattan
Following your breast implant revision surgery, you will wake up in the recovery area with small dressings on the breasts. If you have had scar tissue removed, drains may be placed for 3-4 days. Once you are fully alert, you will be transported to another area where you will be given something to eat.
Once you have recovered, you will be allowed to go home the same day. You must have a responsible adult to escort you home and stay with you for the first night after your surgery.
Dr. Naidu will give you specific instructions to follow after your surgery. She will give you a prescription for pain, as well as instructions about how to take care of your incisions. Many of Dr. Naidu’s patients are very independent women who are reluctant to ask for help. However, some degree of post-surgical assistance will be required. We strongly recommend that you create a plan to take care of yourself and your family, so that you can focus on your recovery.
The Day After Surgery
The day of or the morning after surgery, you may shower, leaving the tapes on your skin intact. Most patients do not complain of severe pain following this surgery, but note that their breasts feel sore for several days. Swelling can be reduced by applying ice packs to your breasts. Pain medication is prescribed for any discomfort.
Your Follow-Up Visit with Dr. Naidu in Manhattan
You will return to our NYC office between three and five days after your surgery. Drains will be removed at this time if these were placed during surgery. Most sutures will dissolve on their own. Walking is permitted the day after breast implant revision surgery, but strenuous activity and heavy lifting should be limited for two weeks.
Recovering from Your Breast Augmentation Revision
Swelling is typically present for about four weeks following a breast revision; however, it may persist for up to three months. Incision scars will soften and fade as time passes, usually reaching their maximum reduction in 12 months. Although the scars will never disappear completely, Dr. Naidu provides her patients with silicone scar cream to assist in reducing their visibility.
If you reside in NYC and are looking for an experienced plastic surgeon to perform your breast revision procedure, contact Dr. Nina S. Naidu’s office at 212-452-1230.
- NYC Plastic Surgery
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Augmentation Revision
- Gummy Bear Breast Implants
- Breast Lift
- Breast Lift with Augmentation
- Tuberous Breast Surgery
- Inverted Nipple Correction
- Breast Reduction
- Breast Reconstruction
- Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer
- Breast Revision Surgery