Breast lift (mastopexy) surgery involves reshaping the breast tissue and removing excess skin. The incision to be used is determined by the position of your breasts on the chest wall, the quality of your breast skin, and whether or not implants will also be used at the time of surgery to increase your breast size.
There are three different incisions which can be used:
1) circumareolar: an incision is made around the nipple-areolar complex only. The areola, which is the pigmented skin around the nipple, is typically stretched out after weight loss and breast feeding. This can be reduced to a more aesthetically appealing size during with the circumareolar incision. In cases in which an implant is also being used to augment the size of the breasts, a circumareolar incision may be sufficient. It is rarely possible to perform an isolated breast lift with this incision alone.
2) vertical incision: an incision is made around the nipple-areolar complex and then extended vertically down on the lower pole of the breast. This is sometimes referred to as a “lollipop” or “limited” incision. Through this incision, the breast tissue can be rotated upwards into its new position, while the skin is redraped over the breast mound. The excess skin is then trimmed and the incisions are closed. Breast implants can also be placed through this incision. It is an ideal incision for patients who have a mild to moderate amount of skin excess, and is most frequently selected by Dr. Naidu for use on her patients.
3) inverted-T incision: an incision is made around the nipple-areolar complex, extended vertically down on the lower pole of the breast, and then along the inferior breast fold. Also known as the “anchor” incision, this is the traditional incision used for both breast lifts and breast reductions. Dr. Naidu reserves this incision exclusively for patients with very significant amounts of skin excess, such as those who have undergone massive weight loss.
The scars following breast lift surgery typically heal well. While they will never completely disappear, they will continue to fade for several years after surgery. Dr. Naidu will provide you with a set of silicone scar strips to use after surgery to assist in scar reduction.
- NYC Plastic Surgery
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Augmentation Revision
- Gummy Bear Breast Implants
- Breast Lift
- Breast Lift with Augmentation
- Tuberous Breast Surgery
- Inverted Nipple Correction
- Breast Reduction
- Breast Reconstruction
- Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer
- Breast Revision Surgery
- Vaser Liposuction
- Mommy Makeover
- Tummy Tuck
- Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia)