Manhattan – Breast Reduction
A reduction mammoplasty (breast reduction) is a plastic surgery procedure that alleviates the physical and psychological burdens that are associated with macromastia (extremely large breasts). Dr. Nina S. Naidu is a plastic surgeon in Manhattan, who performs a variety of breast enhancement procedures, including breast reductions. Some men also need to have the size of their breasts reduced due to a condition referred to as gynecomastia. Dr. Naidu also performs these procedures for men who reside in and around Manhattan.
Some patients find that their health insurance will pay for a portion of their breast reduction procedure; therefore, Dr. Naidu encourages all of her patients to contact their insurance company to ask questions related to their specific coverage.
Reasons Health Insurance May Cover a Breast Reduction in Manhattan
If a breast reduction procedure is considered medically necessary, health insurance companies will usually cover the procedure.
Common complaints related to having extremely large breasts include:
- back pain;
- shoulder pain;
- breast pain;
- neck pain;
- breathing problems;
- skeletal deformities;
- low self-esteem;
- difficulty sleeping;
- uncomfortable rashes beneath the breasts; and
- indentations in the shoulders from bra straps.
Macromastia causes the nerves in the neck and back to stretch, which forces the individual to walk and stand differently. This poor posture is necessary to compensate for the strain that large, drooping breasts may place on the muscles and bones of the back.
Macromastia Can Alter an Individual’s Lifestyle
Many women who have excessively large breasts are self-conscious and frequently avoid participating in activities they would otherwise enjoy. These activities may include swimming, playing tennis, jogging or even dancing. In addition, extremely large breasts make finding clothing that fits well and looks appealing a challenge. Certain styles of clothing must also be avoided.
A Disproportionate-Looking Appearance
Large, drooping breasts may cause a woman to feel unattractive because they are not in proportion with the rest of her body.
The First Step in a Breast Reduction Procedure – The Initial Consultation
Individuals who are interested in having a Breast Reduction procedure in Manhattan need to make an appointment for an initial consultation with Dr. Naidu.
During this consultation, Dr. Naidu will gather information related to the patient’s:
- surgical goals;
- medical history (previous surgeries and treatments, etc.);
- medical conditions (heart disease, hypertension and diabetes, etc.);
- current medication usage;
- desire to continue expanding her family and/or breastfeed;
- lifestyle choices (tobacco use, alcohol consumption and recreational drug use);
- previous mammogram and biopsy results;
- family history of breast cancer;
- negative aspects related to her macromastia (neck pain, back pain, etc.); as well
- as her current herbal supplement and vitamin consumption.
Dr. Nina S. Naidu will address how pregnancy and nursing will affect the results of a breast reduction procedure.
Dr. Naidu will want to examine the patient’s breasts. She will take various measurements; these breast measurements serve as a guideline for determining the breast size that will complement the patient’s physique. At this time, Dr. Naidu will ascertain the condition of the patient’s skin and soft tissue as well as document the quantity of her existing breast tissue.
Once the breast exam is complete, Dr. Nina S. Naidu will know if the patient will benefit from a reduction mammoplasty procedure in Manhattan.
A Follow-Up Appointment to Prepare for a Breast Reduction in Manhattan
Patients who choose to have a breast reduction will need to schedule a follow-up appointment with Dr. Naidu in her Manhattan office. During this appointment, various aspects of the procedure itself will be discussed.
Specifics related to the breast reduction procedure will also be discussed.
Topics will include:
- the duration of the procedure;
- the type of anesthesia that will be used;
- incision type and location;
- what to expect during the recovery phase; and
- the anticipated final results.
Preparing for Surgery:
- Photographs of the patient’s breasts will be taken. These photos are placed in the patient’s chart. These pictures play an important role in the planning of her personalized breast reduction procedure. Dr. Naidu and her staff respect their patients’ privacy; none of the pictures taken will be viewed by other patients without the written consent of the individual in the photographs.
- Certain medications, herbal supplements and vitamins must be discontinued prior to surgery. Furthermore, tobacco use must be avoided during the eight weeks leading up to the surgery and for another eight weeks following the procedure.
- Dr. Naidu will most likely request that the patient undergo routine pre-surgical testing. This testing may include a mammogram and blood work. Moreover, patients may need to visit their general practitioner to receive a preoperative clearance.
- Patients will complete their pre-surgical paperwork during this visit.
The Night Before a Reduction Mammoplasty with Dr. Naidu
To ensure their own safety during surgery, patients are required to fast (avoid eating or drinking) the night before their reduction mammoplasty with Dr. Naidu in Manhattan. Fasting should begin at midnight.
The Day of Surgery – What to Expect
A breast reduction is an outpatient procedure. Patients will receive general anesthesia and will require someone to escort them out of the surgical center. A cab driver or an Uber driver is not an acceptable escort. In addition, Dr. Naidu requires that her patients have someone remain with them for the initial 24 hours after their surgical procedure.
A breast reduction procedure takes between 2-3 hours to complete. Directly prior to surgery, Dr. Naidu visits her patient in the pre-operative area . She makes markings on the patient’s breasts, which help guide her during the breast reduction procedure. Dr. Naidu will also answer any questions the patient has regarding her reduction mammoplasty and recovery.
Reduction Mammoplasty – Step-By-Step
- Anesthesia: Once general anesthesia has taken effect, Dr. Naidu can begins the breast reduction procedure by creating incisions on the breasts using the pre-determined markings.
- There are two incisions typically used when performing a breast reduction procedure in Manhattan, the anchor incision and the lollipop incision.
The anchor incision
– this incision involves encircling the inside border of the areola (the pigmented skin surrounding the nipple), extending it downward to the inframammary crease, which is located at the base of each breast, and following the natural curve of the inframammary crease itself.
The lollipop incision
– this incision is created by encircling the inside border of the areola and extending the incision downward toward the inframammary crease.
The incision technique that Dr. Naidu chooses depends on the patient’s individual measurements as well as the amount of tissue she intends to remove. Despite the incision technique used, Dr. Naidu will remove excess fat, glandular tissue and skin.
- The Nipple-Areolar Complex is Repositioned
Dr. Naidu will be able to move the nipple-areolar complex to a higher position on the breast. In the majority of breast reduction cases, Dr. Naidu can move the nipple-areolar complex without the need to separate it from its nerves and blood vessels. Nevertheless, in instances where the patient’s breasts are extremely large and/or pendulous, she may need to separate the complex and then graft it onto the reduced breast.
- The Breast Skin is Re-draped Over the Newly Lifted and Shaped Breast
Once the nipple-areolar complex is in place, Dr. Naidu brings the remaining skin down and drapes it over the lifted, newly shaped breast. Any excess skin is removed at this time.
- Closing the Incisions
Dr. Naidu uses layers of sutures to bring the incision together and provide support to the newly lifted breasts. Most of these sutures are dissolvable and do not require removal. Any non-dissolvable sutures are removed in Dr. Naidu’s Manhattan office (within two weeks of the surgical procedure). Drains may be placed during surgery and are typically removed within 2-3 days after surgery.
- Dressings and a Light Support Bra are Applied
Once the incisions are closed, dressings and a light support bra are applied.
The Recovery Area
Directly after surgery, patients will be moved to the recovery area. Upon awakening, patients will notice that their breasts are more proportionate to their body and that they feel much lighter. Mild swelling will be present for three weeks, and final results are seen at 3-6 months after surgery.
Recovering from a Reduction Mammoplasty:
- Patients should take a seven day vacation from work/school.
- The majority of Dr. Naidu’s breast reduction patients state that they have minimal pain following their procedure. However, all breast reduction patients will receive a prescription for pain medication.
- Strenuous activity and sex must be avoided for at least two weeks.
- Patients may begin performing light activities, such as walking, the day after their reduction mammoplasty.
- Before patients leave the recovery room, Dr. Naidu will give them written instructions that detail how they should care for their stitches. These instructions will also outline their restrictions as they recover. Following the post-surgical instructions that Dr. Naidu provides is essential to ensure an uneventful recovery.
Dr. Nina S. Naidu is dedicated to providing her patients with beautiful breast reduction results. If you are considering a reduction mammoplasty, breast augmentation or breast lift, contact Dr. Naidu’s office today at 212-452-1230 to schedule your initial consultation.
- NYC Plastic Surgery
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Augmentation Revision
- Gummy Bear Breast Implants
- Breast Lift
- Breast Lift with Augmentation
- Tuberous Breast Surgery
- Inverted Nipple Correction
- Breast Reduction
- Breast Reconstruction
- Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer
- Breast Revision Surgery